Why is women’s right to safe and legal abortion being compromised?
- Restricting access to medical abortion, with pharmacists refusing to stock medical abortion pills.
- Pregnancy tracking, to ensure pregnant women don’t undergo sex selective abortion, thereby compromising on a woman’s right to legal abortion for genuine reasons.
- Suggestions that contraceptive failure should not be included as a condition for second trimester abortion.
- Provision of abortion services only if followed by sterilization.
- Expanding the base of qualified and trained providers in rural areas equipped to conduct safe abortion
- Building capacities of paramedical staff on counselling women during and after abortion
- Undertaking communication campaigns on women’s right to safe and legal abortion
- Conducting audits of both public and private sector facilities to ensure quality service provision
- Investing in technology and research as well as better clinical practices