Wednesday, April 27, 2022

AMCHI: Enhancing Women's Livelihood through Vermicomposting

“I am very happy to see the manure in my vermicompost production pits. It is like black gold for us.” 

- Vaishali Baghwan Desle, VC Group member, Vehele VC group

AMCHI, saw the conclusion of a 15-village project funded by Fiserv in collaboration with United Way Mumbai in the final quarter of financial year 2021-22. AMCHI team has been able to mobilise and train 150 women in the art of vermicompost production and sale.

  • Each group has earned an average of Rs. 21,000 to Rs. 25,000 over the last five months of the project initiation. 
  • At least 190 unique farmers and farmhouse owners have been linked to our 15 vermicompost livelihood groups
  • Conducted 13 farmer melavas/exhibitions
  • Completed 40 marketing visits
  • Established 62 demonstration plots in 12 villages for the farmers to understand and gain first-hand experience on the positive impact vermicompost has on their crops, soil, production cost and income. 
  • Among 46 of 62 farmers there has been a 28% decrease in average production and 10% increase in average total income since the usage of vermicompost on those plots

The aim of this project was to provide rural women with a sustainable and viable secondary source of income through vermicompost production and sale. And in doing so, Population First is also heading towards its broader vision of popularising organic and natural farming in Shahapur and converting it into the organic farming taluka

 

“Through the organization I received VC which I have applied for my red pumpkin crop this season. I have noticed there is a big difference between chemical fertilizers and VC. I have observed that previously for the same crop and on the same plot of land I had to apply chemical fertilizers for at least 7-8 days. With VC, however, I have applied for it only once. It has been 25 days since we sowed the seeds the vegetable crop is healthy and the leaves look fresh and green” 

  • Prakash Pawar, Demonstration Plot Farmer, Pawale


Fig 1: Lady finger plot grown with chemical manure (left) & vermicompost (right)

With 15 new vermicompost livelihood women’s groups, the villages in itself and its neighbours now have access to good quality vermicompost for their farming activities irrespective of the crop they grow. In order for the women to be able to reach out to these customers and expand their own market, PF conducted several farmer exhibitions and melavas across major market areas in Vehele, Doplepada, Saplepada, Sapgaon, Mhasa, Kinhavli, Kudus, etc. 

Fig 2 & 3: Kudus Farmer Exhibition (left) & Sapgaon Farmer Exhibition (right)

A major characteristic of these exhibitions conducted by PF is the presence of organic farming experts that allows the customers, especially farmers to interact with them, gain more knowledge and find solutions to their questions regarding organic farming.

“This is our good fortune that Population First organized such a wonderful event in our village. This is a different kind of melava. I have attended many farmer melavas before but I have never seen any question answer session in these melavas. Here, however, the farmer has the opportunity to talk and question the experts directly. And I see that all the farmers are happy and satisfied because they got the answers they were looking for and cleared their doubts. And I believe they understand the benefits of vermicompost much better now.” 

  • Mr. Pundalik Pradhan, Ex-Sarpanch,    Vehele     

Fig 4: Vehele Farmer Exhibition (Right)

Mr. Mahesh Salve, Mr. Santosh Dinkar and Mr. Datta Urmude, have been our long-time collaborators who have participated in these sessions for their expertise in agriculture and special emphasis on organic farming. In addition to that, support from agriculture department officers at Block level has also contributed towards the popularity of the vermicompost produced by our women’s groups. 

 “I know that vermicompost is the best manure for farming and it benefits the farmers in a lot of ways. I, therefore, thank the PF team for starting their work in Murbad block and for organizing such a wonderful exhibition here in Mhasa. This is a big marketing place and about 300 farmers come here from 40 villages to set up their shops of vegetables. I am also impressed to know that products are made and sold by women. My department is with PF and will support the VC women

in every possible way” 

  • Mr. Kute, Agricultural Department Extension Officer, Murbad Panchayat Samiti, Mhasa Exhibition

Fig 5: Mhasa Farmer Exhibition (right)



 
Fig 6 to 9: Marketing Visits to Farmers and Farmhouse Owners 

A Success Story


The aim of the Enhancing Women’s Livelihood through Vermicomposting project was to not only provide a viable and sustainable livelihood opportunity but also to build capacities of the rural women and transform them into entrepreneurs and decision-makers at various levels. And Population First was confident that the humble earthworm and the simple vermicompost will help in delivering just that for the women across 15 villages of Shahapur and Murbad. 

For the women who participated in this vermicompost livelihood intervention, it is not only about the money they earn but also their decisions on how the money can be used makes all the difference. As the report has indicated, the money earned through this intervention was largely invested back in purchase of family household & other expenses, family health and travel, personal health and travel, children’s education. 

One such story is that of Manda Gajanan Gorle of Raogaon. “This is the first time I was involved in the income generation activity and earned money. In the last three months my group earned Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 30,000, which is a big amount for us and we keep the money in the group,” when the PF team asked her about how she was making use of the money. And this process is not new for the team to come across. “We decided that we will distribute the money as per the needs of the women,” she had said. This project was implemented post the pandemic, and it has contributed in addressing challenges that the pandemic had presented to these women like loss of income, help address family and personal health and access to education for children. For Manda, it was providing access to quality education that was the need of the hour. “Now that the colleges and schools have opened, my daughter wanted to take admission in 12th standard in Murbad college but my husband refused and said we have no money to spend on her education,” she had said. “But I took the decision to strongly support her education. I took Rs 6,500 from my VC group and paid her fees.” 


Supporting one’s own children by providing for their education or supporting oneself to become financially independent, both are stories of empowerment that will propel our women from Shahapur and Murbad further in their lives. For Gulab Ganpat Ghude of Umberpada, it was her dream of opening her own bank account.
“I earned Rs. 3,000/- from my VC business. I always wanted to open an account in the bank but my family always told me why should I open an account when I have no money to keep,” she told the PF team. “But through the VC business I started earning and as a result, I opened my bank account. I am very happy to have an account in a national bank,” she shared excitedly. “And I have decided that I will save the money and purchase a scooty bike for myself which will help me for marketing of the VC business,” she added. For the PF team, all the work is validated when we see the enthusiasm and confidence of women like Gulab who have learned to take decisions and make their own path, or getting to know that the daughter of Manda praised her and said “I am proud of you mother”.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment