Quick Trials Not at the Cost of Fair Trials
Dr. A. L. Sharada
Director, Population First
Glad to see the stand of SC on expeditious trials leading to death sentence. While we all want the process to be expedited and justice assured to rape survivors, setting unrealistic deadlines like in the Disha policy of AP government may compromise investigative and judicial processes.
What we need is :
- More Forensic labs and specialists
- Better and professional protocols for investigation
- No political interference in the police investigation
- No corruption in the police and judiciary
- Victim and witness protection
- Fast track courts to deal with rape cases exclusively etc
Is there anyone willing to invest in these? Too much work and commitment, right? Instead pass populist laws that subvert the whole judicial process. Create a problem while trying to solve a problem.